Two independent PTP ports
The main ALBEDO testers, xGenius and Zeus, are equipped with two ports that can be configured independently as master or slave:
- Master: The tester is a PTP master clock. The main purpose of this mode is not to make measurements, but to stress the network, including the slave.
- Slave: In this case the Tester replaces the Slave. The Tester processes the information received from the Master and tries to follow the time signal in the same way as any other PTP Slave Clock.
Two configurations are possible:
- Master + Slave (Port A & Port B)
- Slave + Slave (Port A & Port B)
which allows a number of interesting tests.
(test 1) PTP dual slave clock test
Fig 1. Two slave PTP clocks are verified simultaneoustly.
xGenius performs independent PTP performance tests on xGenius ports A and B. It generates independent sets of TE results and also generates differential TE results between both test ports.
(test 2) PTP slave clock test
Fig 2. xGenius as Master clock verifies a PTP clock by means of its outputs such as PPS or IRIG-B
This is a test that configures xGenius port A to provide a PTP clock reference to a slave clock (SC) and then measures the performance of the SC in a frequency or time output generated by that clock using port C or the PHM-25 IRIG-B port.
(test 3) PTP test for boundary clocks (BCs)
Fig 3. PTP Boundary clock test uses xGenius as master and slave simultaneously
PTP test for Boundary Clocks (BCs) and Transparent Clocks (TCs). In this mode, xGenius port A operates in master emulation mode and port B measures TE and other performance metrics from the device under test.
About xGenius tester
Advanced tester equipped with a large capacitive screen suitable for labs and field operations. The unit is able to test Ethernet/IP networks up to 10Gb/s while supports PTP/NTP protocols with Master/Slave emulation. Performance and Quality tests are possible at all opt/elect interfaces including GbE/T1/E1/E0/C37.94 and Datacom. The One-way delay GPS assisted is good for Substations maintenance and it has a built-in Rubidium oscillator to continue working perfectly in holdover mode.
- PTP master / slave
- SyncE/PTP wander analysis/generation
- GOOSE, SV, MMS protocol capture and save in PCAP format for analysis
- I/O time refs.: IRIG-B, PTP, NTP, SyncE, T1/E1, 10/2/1.5 Mb/s, 1PPS, 1PP2S, ToD, GNSS
- Internal Oscillator: Rubidium, OCXO
- FULL T1/E1 test Jitter/Wander, Pulse
- Asymmetry or One-Way-Delay with GPS
- Datacom: V11, V24, V35, V36, EIA530, EIA530A, Co-dir
- C37.94 analysis/generation
- SNMP/MIB support
Fig 4. Zeus a solution to install and verify networks up to 1 Gb/s